Welcome and many thanks to the 2014/2015 committee and all the financial Wairarapa branch members.
I would also like to thank those that assisted with the branches sponsorship be it labour or prizes donated during the course of the year. Just to recap the events that the committee had organized and implemented during the year;
- 3 x subsidized fly in trips to the Tararua’s with a total of 34 members attended and 21 Deer removed
- 3 x trips to Wanganui for paid fallow hunts. We have built a good rapport with the owner a Aranui Station.
- A very successful open night with a range of displays and activities
- Great variety of general speakers during the year one of my favourites was held at Amalgamated helicopters evening on safety with helicopters
- Douglas scoring seminar and now have 3 more qualified scorers within our branch
- 2 x firearms training / licensing events with a positive turnout
- 2 x positive working bees revenue gained was approx $3500. I would just like to mention that I was pleased to have members that could notattend the weekend working bees to attend during the week. Remember these are for your benefit!
- We had an unfortunate incident at the Deer Park where two deer were shot with a bow and arrow I am please to report that the offender was apprehended and prosecuted. The fallow buck has been replaced with a new blood line.
- Our Club membership is up 18% from this time last year
Up and Coming Events for year 2015 / 2016
- A Club initiative to construct a mobile hut that will be available for hire.
- This has a weight of 350 kgs and can be flown to a desired location via Helicopter
- For the last 2x years Steve Playle has organised goose culling at White
- Rock Station via a request of the manager and now thanks to a positive result of that culling, White Rock Station Deer hunts have been offered to this branch and are to be started after April this year Steve to co -ordinate
- Work in progress with the Department of Conservation (DOC) in relation to accessing land-locked reserves which have higher animal numbers these will only be for the benefit of paid financial members and those learning to hunt.
- A Clothing Range with great discounts from Ridgeline will be released for Club members.
Special thanks to our committee members Paul, Alex, Aidan, Steve, Brad, Phil without you all managing aspects of the club such as the Deer Park, Shooting Events, Technology, organising resources to carry out such things as working bees we would be lost without you all so thanks guys!
To our Vice President Tracy Amos for her time to the club this year, Tracy organises quite a bit and keeps me on track too. Richard and Morag O’Driscoll for managing our money and contribution to the newsletter, Howard Egan for his secretarial duties and for chasing us along when the wheels slowed, and on that note I would like to ask Howard to be upstanding…………………….
The Wairarapa Branch has put Howard Egan forward for Life Membership that has been approved by the National executive. We believe that with Howards many years of contribution and dedication to the NZDA warrants a Life Membership. Howard has been involved;
Supporting information for Life Membership nomination for NZDA Wairarapa Branch of Howard Egan
- Involvement with Wairarapa Branch: (37 years )
- 1978 represented National Executive at Wairarapa’s branch dinner
- 1993 purchased line of fallow deer, in 1995 donated fallow spiker to deer park
- In subsequent years donated another doe and a mature white buck – which was on sold by the committee due to public safety concerns
- 2005 spoke at branch meeting about Namibia safari hunting
- 2007 transferred to Wairarapa branch and nominated onto the committee
- Involved in working bees at the Parkvale Hall and fund raising towards hall project
- Donated gum trees for firewood fund raisers
- Responsible for grant applications to Carterton District Council and Eastern and Central Trust for improvements to hall in the 10’s of 1000’s
- Given responsibility for photo boards
- Convened AH&T activities for several years
- 2009 Public function at Hall, Douglas scored numerous fallow heads
- 2010 Involved with Open night and for the following 5 years
- 2013 Open night/book launch – 240 attended
- 2104 Open night, convened Douglas scoring
- 2 terms as branch secretary
- News letter editor 2014
- Organised Douglas scoring training resulting in 4 new scorers being accredited
- Organised and lead the early Wanganui hunting trips
- Written books, articles and contributed to forums, often promoting the NZDA and the Wairarapa branch.
In addition to Howards involvement at branch level he has contributed to the National organisation, with 3 terms as Vice-President and 1 term as President. Wider hunting interests saw Howard serve a term on the National Recreational Hunting Advisory Committee and was trophy convenor for the NZ Exhibition of Hunting in 1978, convened the Clevedon Game Fair in 1989 as well as involvement with Ducks Unlimited and a host of similar organisations.
As well as many other years of dedication to NZDA.